The story of the Hungarian porcelain manufactory

The Meissen porcelain factory was established in January 1710 by Ágost Erős. In the initial period only few statues were produced in Meissen. Gottlob Kirchner sculptor first made clock holders, candlesticks, modeled some bathroom pools, and a large size animal figures were made as well, even he prepared a one metre tall figure of apostle Paul for the Japán Palace.

The Hungarian porcelain production started relatively late, only in the 19th century.

One of the most considerable Hungarian porcelain factories is the Herend porcelain manufactory founded in the era of the development of the national independency, of the development of the Hungarian bourgeois mentality; it was founded by Vince Stingl ceramist in 1826. The popular products of the factory were generally of the baroque and the Empire style.

From 1839 the new proprietor of the firm was Mór Fischer, who was full of new ideas, and ambition. He took up the production of the artistic porcelain: at this era appeared the so called Saxon bouquet with several compositions of garden and wild flowers, painted with natural coloration.

The tulip bunch was the next important product. The First Hungarian Industry Art Exhibition, the Vienna Exhibition in 1845, the 1st London World Exhibition in 1851 the New York Exhibition in 1853, the Paris Exhibition in 1855 brought the highest reputation for Herend. An outstanding creation of the Manufactury was the large size scene dish, with the title' Vitam et Sanguinem' which was awarded on the London Expo in 1862.

After a few years of recession a booming started in 1896 with the appearance of a new owner Eugene Farkasházy, the founder's grandchild. Based on his foreign country experiences revived the old traditions and enriched the product range with novelties as well.

The grand prize of the Paris Expo in 1900 and of the Saintpetersburg exhibition in1901 justified his endeavours. Between the two world wars he continued to reproduce the traditional Mór Fischer forms and in the meantime based on the considerable creation of the contemporary sculptors they started to produce Hungarian figures as well.

Herendi Manufaktúra got into a state possession in 1948, it was privatized in 1993. Since then the 75% has been in property of the employees. The mission of the Manufactory: the Herend Porcelain Manufactory Co. has to keep its position of producing luxtury porcelain in munufactural way, in excellent quality, curing industrial art and historical industrial tradition, operating as a profitable enterprise, being always a forefront manufactury which ensures the job for its employees on long term.